Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Surrendering to the Truth that Opens the Door to My Freedom

Well, first I have to remember that my unhealthy eating is an addiction and not just a bad habit that I can get under control.  You can tell when you’re bad habit has morphed into an addiction when you try and try and try (for weeks, months and even years if you’re as stubborn and proud as I am) to control it and you can’t for more than a few hours or days at a time.  Sooner or later it comes back in one of either two ways: ever so sneaky and stealthy, one little excuse at a time, or with a bludgeoning vengeance.

So, I have to remember that in my case my unhealthy eating behaviors are not the sign I have a bad habit.  I have an addiction, or in other words a destructive and even potentially deadly dependency that no amount of good intentions, pledges or plans, or personal resolve will control.

Once I have surrendered to that truth–bitter as it may sound and feel–and have allowed it to be established in my mind and heart, then I’m ready to do what has to be done to put my unhealthy eating into remission, one day at a time, for as long as I’m willing to be free of it.

©2010 Colleen C. Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment